Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is incredibly easy to make at home, by adding all the ingredients to your slow cooker and let it cook to perfection.
This post contains affiliate links at NO extra cost to you, I just like sharing the things I love and work for me.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is such a flavorful and easy dish to make in your crockpot. Thanks to all the beautiful spices, this is such a flavorful and aromatic dish. Incredibly easy to make in your slow cooker, this restaurant style dish can now be enjoyed on a weeknight.
I have tried indian food for the first time when I moved to New York. I remember perfectly the day my husband told me he wants me to try a delicious indian dish that he thinks I would love. The man was right, I fell in love with the creamy Chicken Tikka Masala and the Garlic Naan, that I used to endlessly dip in the spicy and flavorful sauce.
After that first taste, I made it a point to have Chicken Tikka Masala on a monthly basis. I made it a home many times, but now with this Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe we can enjoy it even more often. The tangy tomato sauce, the sweet cream, the soft and tender meat, work together to create a luxurious and amazing meal!
- Ground Cumin – is used in Mexican, Middle Eastern and Indian dishes, a little goes a long way as it has a beautiful, bold flavor
- Ground Turmeric – is great in recipes, but you can actually use it to fight colds as it has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant
- Ground Coriander – always great to have on hand as it is wildly used is recipes from many cuisines
- Garam Masala – is a blend of ground spices commonly used in India, Pakistan, and some other South Asian cuisines. I personally used it exclusively when I cook indian dishes, so a small jar will last you a long time.
- Curry Powder – again, this is also a blend of more spices, I don’t use it a lot, so a small jar lasts us a long time
- Ground Ginger – can be used in a variety of recipes, I also use it as a stomach pain remedy, ginger has so many health benefits, that I usually make a lemon, ginger water to drink in the morning.
- Crockpot – very reasonably priced and definitely a kitchen must have if you are busy
- Garlic Powder – I always try to use organic seasoning and spices, I like having garlic powder on hand for seasoning purposes and also slow cooker recipes
- Onion Powder – perfect to have on hand for seasoning and to create different rubs
- Tomato Sauce – I buy Organic Tomato Sauce in bulk, as I use it in so many recipes, to make pasta sauce, pizza sauce and so many other recipes
- Tomato Paste – so much more concentrated than the tomato sauce, I always keep Organic Tomato Paste on hand, it adds a lot of flavor and taste to any tomato dish
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger root
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Serve with:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, ground turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, ground ginger root and salt in a small bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add cubed chicken to the spice bowl and mix well to coat the meat.
- Add the season chicken pieces to the slow cooker. Add the chopped onion, fresh ginger, diced tomato, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or for 8 hours on low.
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 1 minute on high, and stir into the chicken tikka masala. Taste and add more salt and paprika (for spiciness) if needed.
- Serve over rice garnished with fresh parsley or cilantro.
- If you want to freeze the chicken tikka masala, do so before stirring in the heavy cream. The cream can be mixed after thawing, while heating the chicken tikka masala in a sauce pan over medium heat. Chicken tikka masala can be frozen to up to 3 months.
The chicken can be seasoned and after that mixed with 1 cup of full fat unflavored greek yogurt and marinated for 4-6 hours. This is not a mandatory step, while it can add extra softness and flavor to the chicken, I find it that the slow cooker creates a perfect dish even if I skip this step.