HEALTHY HONEY LEMON CHICKEN IS ONE OF THE FASTEST, MOST DELICIOUS AND FLAVORFUL DINNERS YOU CAN MAKE IN 30 MINUTES. NOT DEEP FRIED AND WITH NO PROCESSED SUGAR!
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken is so much better than takeout! This recipe is super easy and quick to make, and also doesn’t involved any deep fried chicken or processed sugar. I love my fair share of indulgent recipes, but I also like to balance it and eat healthy. Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken served over brown rice is one of those crowd pleasing meals that I always refer to on a busy weeknight.
I wanted today to also share with you how I started cooking. As an only child, I was never asked to do any cooking, my parents wanted me to concentrate on studying. Slowly, I started cooking with my mom and grandmother, because they both are amazing cooks and I wanted to learn and have fun together. When I moved to US more than a decade ago, it was like a turning point, the cooking was the one thing that reminded me of my family that was now thousands of miles away. Everytime I would miss them to tears, I would go into my kitchen and cook a family recipe, instantly I felt like my mom and granny were next to me. That way my love for cooking grew even bigger and bigger and I decided to start this blog to honor the people that inspired me to cook and bake – my family!
Tips & Tricks on how to make the perfect Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken at home:
- I always say this, but a good meat centered meal starts with quality meat, so use organic chicken breasts
- Cornstarch is a key ingredient in here, do not try to replace it with flour, the results will not be the same
- Using fresh ginger and garlic will add amazing flavor and taste to the sauce
- I am a huge garlic lover, you can add more or less as you please, but in my case, more garlic is always better
- Fresh lemon zest will add a punch of favor so definitely add some and please don’t skip it
- You can serve this meal with white or brown rice
- Garnishing the dish with sesame seeds and green onions will add a pop of color and interesting texture
- A good meal just gets better when served with wine, this Wente Chardonnay is a personal favorite
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe:
- Very easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights
- Creates delicious leftovers that can be easily packed for next day lunches
- Can be made with kids as the steps are not complicated
- Fresh and beautiful flavors
- Packed with lots of lean protein
- Healthy – the chicken hasn’t been deep fried and the meal doesn’t contain any processed sugar
Tools/Ingredients I used to make the Honey Lemon Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe:
- Soy Sauce – I like using lite soy sauce in my recipes, as it has less sodium and its easier from me to control the saltiness of the dish, I always buy a large bottle like this one and keep it in my pantry
- Sesame Seeds – these little guys are perfect in asian recipes, also sprinkled on salads and fish, a jar will last you a long time
- Cornstarch – I prefer using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken sauces, and this organic brand is my favorite
- Wente Wine – I have served this dish with some amazing Chardonnay on the side. Visit Wente to learn more about their love of the journey and see their Chardonnay selection.
Love Easy Chicken Recipes? Check These Out:
- Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken – very easy to make, sweet and savory
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken – amazing flavors!!!
- Chicken Pesto Kabobs – so easy and perfect for summer
- Honey Lemon Chicken Lettuce Cups – refreshing and delicious, a perfect snack, appetizer or meal
- Ginger Crispy Sesame Chicken – Another easy meal, that is full of flavor and easy to make
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken is one of the fastest, most delicious and flavorful dinners you can make in 30 minutes! Not fried and with no processed sugar!
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- ⅓ cup honey or more
- 2 tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
In a medium saucepan add rice and to 2 1/2 cups of boiling water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside when ready.
In the meantime, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Season chicken with salt and pepper add it to the skillet, cook until golden, stirring and tossing occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
Add chicken broth, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and cornstarch to a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stir to combine. When adding the cornstarch is best to make a slurry to avoid clumps. Mix it with the orange juice in a small bowl and after that add it to the sauce pan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring from time to time, about 4-5 minutes.
Once the sauce has thickened, pour it over the chicken. Cook on medium low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring and gently tossing to combine. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
Serve chicken over brown rice, drizzle with a little more honey lemon glaze. If desired, garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
If you want the recipe to taste sweeter, you can add an extra 1/4 cup of honey.