Red Velvet Hot Chocolate topped with a dollop of whipped cream is luxurious and rich and the perfect treat when signing holiday cards.
Thank you Tiny Prints for sponsoring this post. Make this Holiday season extra special with personalized holiday greeting cards from Tiny Prints.
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is my favorite drink of the holiday season? To all the delicious cookie exchanges, family reunions? We are officially in Christmas mode here! We designed our holiday cards thru Tiny Prints and we spent the weekend sipping Red Velvet Hot Chocolate and writing personal notes to friends and family. I am all about the holiday cards, I love sending and received hand written cards! I think a hand written card is so much more special, I always envision how the person wrote it, trying to come up with nice wishes, you can feel the energy that was put into the card.
I like sending personalized cards to my family during the holidays, it so happened that me and my husband moved to NYC many years ago and our parents and many friends are in Moldova. We try to visit every year, and we have been blessed to have our parents visiting, but we are rarely all together during the holidays or major events.
Why You’ll Love This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- It’s creamy and luxurious, also very easy to make
- The hot chocolate has a gorgeous red color that is very festive
- It would make an amazing holiday treat and it’s perfect for Valentine’s day
- Rich and full of flavor it is a hit with children and adults
- Tastes delicious when served with whipped cream or toasted marshmallows
Tips & Tricks on how to make the perfect Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- Use high quality unsweetened cocoa powder and also high quality chocolate, as the chocolate flavor is front and center here
- The food coloring is optional, but obviously if you want your chocolate red you have to use some, I highly recommend using gel food color as it’s more concentrated and you will use less
- If you are wondering why the recipes asks for vanilla extract, its because a little vanilla flavor will make the chocolate flavor even more prominent
- Serve with whipped cream or toasted marshmallows
Tools/Ingredients I used to make this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – delicious flavor, it will make any chocolate dessert amazing
- Dark Chocolate Melts/Wafers – I love using these for chocolate ganache and any other recipes that ask for melted chocolate
- Gel Food Coloring – this set comes in a variety of colors and it won’t add extra water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1½ (or more) teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red sand sugar
- In a medium sauce pan heat the milk and cream over medium heat.
- Whisk in the chopped chocolate and stir until fully melted.
- Stir in the red food coloring and the vanilla extract. Add more food coloring if needed, until you get the red you are looking for.
- In a mixer bowl, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Serve the hot chocolate topped with whip per cream and sprinkle with red sand sugar.
Looking for more soul warming drinks? Check this Slow Cooker Apple Cider!