HOMEMADE SNICKERS BARS ARE VERY EASY TO MAKE AND MELT IN YOUR MOUTH WITH DELICIOUSNESS. BUTTERY SHORTBREAD, CARAMEL WITH CRUNCHY PEANUTS AND CHOCOLATE!
Homemade Snickers Bars are such a treat and so much fun to make! A thick and buttery shortbread layer is topped with homemade caramel sauce, lots of crunchy peanuts and everything is finished with a layer of chocolate ganache. Homemade Snickers Bars are addicting, be aware! We literally couldn’t stay away from these and I ended up making three batches in one week, they are that good! The combination of melt in your mouth shortbread with the caramel, chocolate and peanuts is nothing short from pure delight and taste buds happiness! Do yourself a favor and make these asap.
Love Sticky Caramel Desserts? Check these out:
- Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Bars – so rich, so buttery and perfectly sweet
- Dulce de Leche Apple Butter Cake – hands down of the best cakes I have made!
- Salted Caramel Apple Madelaines – these are ready in 30 minutes and very tasty
- Salted Caramel Scones with Sea Salt – mmm LOADED with caramel!
- 10 Minute Caramel Sauce – pour it on everything!
- Apple Butter Caramel Pancakes – isn’t caramel fro breakfast the best?
- Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake – pilled high with toasted marshmallows!
- Dulce de Leche Iced Coffee – with a spicy kick!
Tips and Tricks on how to make the perfect Homemade Snickers Bars :
- First things first, the shortbread layer, the dough for this layer will be thick, almost like play dough, make sure you incorporate well the flour, until the dough is shiny and well combined. Don’t forget to poke some holes into it with a fork.
- The caramel layer is made of condensed milk and dark corn syrup, since you have to simmer it, stay close to it and stir often so you don’t burn it and don’t boil it.
- Use dark corn syrup, don’t substitute for light corn syrup, the caramel color will be pale if you do.
- The chocolate ganache is pretty easy to make, make sure you use high quality chocolate, so it tastes good!
- Don’t forget to add parchment paper to the baking pan, overhanging on the sides, to create “handles” for easy removal
Tools/Ingredients I used to make these Homemade Snickers Bars:
- Semi Sweet Chocolate – you can use dark, milk or semi-sweet chocolate in these bars, based on your own preferance. I find the semi-sweet to balance the sweetness from the caramel nicely.
- Dark Corn Syrup – it will add that deep golden brown color to your caramel
- Parchment paper – a kitchen staple, it just makes life so much easier with it’s non-stick magical powers
Homemade Snickers Bars are very easy to make and melt in your mouth with deliciousness. Buttery shortbread, caramel with crunchy peanuts and chocolate!
- 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cans (14 oz each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup peanuts roasted
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream hot
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, so it overhangs on two sides as handles for easy removal.
Add salt and sugar to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Pour the hot melted butter over the salt and sugar, mix until combined. Whisk in the egg and mix until combined.
Using a spatula, stir in the flour and mix just until incorporated. The dough will be very thick, almost like play dough. This is ok, if needed use your hands to incorporate last bits of flour.
Stir in peanuts into the caramel mixture and pour on top of the shortbread layer. Bake for 20 minutes. The caramel mixture should look more settled, thick and a deep golden color.
Press dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Poke holes with a fork and bake for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, add condensed milk, sugar, butter and dark corn syrup to a medium sauce pan over medium - low heat. Stir continuously for 8 - 10 minutes until the mixture thickens. Do NOT boil the mixture, it should lightly simmer.
Remove from over and let the cool to room temperature before topping with the chocolate layer.
Place chocolate and light corn syrup into a medium bowl.
Microwave heavy whipping cream until hot and pour it over the chocolate. Let sit for 1-2 minutes. Stir until fully combined. If there are bits of unmelted chocolate, microwave the mixture for 15-20 seconds and stir to combine. The mixture should look smooth and shiny.
Pour melted chocolate over the caramel layer and refrigerate until settled, at least 2-3 hours.
Once ready to serve, using the parchment paper handles , lift the bars from the pan and transfer to a cutting board.
Cut into bars and serve! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Preparation time does not reflect the cool down and refrigeration time.