Decadent Chocolate Cherry Cookies are made with the flakiest and most buttery dough, covered in sweet chocolate and crunchy walnuts.
What is the recipe that you ask your mom to make over and over again? Me and my mom are big foodies, and we also love our dessert, obviously. And we like chocolate covered cherries, so it just made perfect sense to bake some chocolate cherry cookies to enjoy when I visited in May for a few weeks.
I must say that my photos don’t make justice, and don’t reflect how good these little bites of heaven were. I took the photos in my mom’s living room, without access to natural light, but I just couldn’t skip sharing these with all of you.
The cookies are soft, sweet, chocolaty with a crunchy walnut shell, juicy and sweet cherries are hidden in the center.
We used freshly picked cherries, first in this season, they were so aromatic and just a little tart. After you bake the cookies they turn out so flaky, that every bite is soft, layered and buttery, they truly melt in your mouth and all the flavors marry in harmony.
We used walnuts from my grandparents walnut tree, so they tasted extra special! How cool is to have your garden with all the trees and vegetables you can imagine, I miss so much having access to all the fresh, homegrown produce.
Check that cookie center, so gooey and good. I am telling you these cookies are a cross over between donuts and croissants and cookies. You see all the flaky dough, doesn’t it look amazing? I just want to stuff my face with these cookies.
Chocolate and cherries remain a classic, delicious flavor combo that I will never get tired of!
- 1 cups sour cream
- 1 cups margarine, refrigerated
- 2 cups flour + more for dusting
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 cup walnuts
- 12 oz chocolate of choice
- 4 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Grate the margarine and combine with sour cream and flour using a spatula, and later your hands. If the dough is too sticky add flour little by little, until it doesn't stick to you hands and is soft and keeps together. Let it rest at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Roll the dough on a floured work surface into a thick rectangle. Brush any excess flour off the dough. Fold it and roll it until your rectangle gets very small. Cover it in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator, and on a founder work surface roll it into a ½ inch rectangle. Using a small round glass cut circles, place a few cherries in the middle, cover them and using your hands manipulate the dough to for a ball.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25min, until golden brown.
- Remove form oven and let the cookies cool completely before covering in chocolate.
- In a medium sauce pan place chocolate and heavy cream over low heat, stir constantly until chocolate melts, remove from heat.
- In a food processor grind the walnuts and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Using a spoon, take a cookies and roll it in chocolate and after in walnuts crumbs, set aside on a dish for the chocolate to harden.