Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Bars are stuffed with walnuts, coconut and Dulce de Leche, topped with a crunchy, buttery topping.
Nothing can keep me away from a pan of Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Bars that literally melt in your mouth with all their caramely glory. These Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Bars are truly addicting in a nice, satisfying way.
I absolutely love using brown butter in my desserts, when mixed with the sugar it adds an irresistible caramel flavor that makes any dessert so much better. The distinctive, sweet, caramel scent will fill your kitchen and will call your name!
These Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Bars are a beautiful combination of textures and flavors. The first layer is a buttery shortbread, topped with a hefty amount of Dulce de Leche. Sweet coconut flakes and chopped walnuts are added for some chewiness and crunchiness. The walnuts add a beautiful flavor and go so well with the caramel. The bars are topped with a brown butter crumb topping that is the perfect way to end a decadent bite.
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) Dulce de Leche
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with baking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix sugar with salt and set aside.
- Add butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium high heat until browned and fragrant. The butter will turn a deep golden brown color, this may take 3-4 minutes. Stir continuously and remove from heat when golden brown.
- Pour the butter over the salt and sugar, mix until combined. Whisk in the egg and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula, stir in the flour and mix just until incorporated. The dough will be very thick, almost like play dough. This is ok, if needed use your hands to incorporate last bits of flour.
- Divide the dough in half, and press half of the dough into the bottom of the greased pan. Top with Dulce de Leche, followed by coconut and walnuts. Crumble on top the remaining dough, pressing it slightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing. Serve!