PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Shrimp Copycat Recipe is super easy and delicious. Made in the comfort of your home in just 30 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links at NO extra cost to you, I just like sharing the products I love and worked for me!
PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Shrimp is definitely a menu favorite when we eat at the restaurant. It’s so good that I decided to make it at home, with much better ingredients and also less money. This PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Shrimp Copycat recipe is super easy to make and you will have dinner ready in 30 minutes!
PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Shrimp Copycat is one of those super easy recipes that will leave everyone impressed and full. Hoverer, you will need a few specialty ingredients. To make it easier, here is everything I used in the making of the recipe.
Tools I used to make this easy PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Shrimp Copycat:
- Organic Corn Starch – I always have some on hand and I use it in so many asian recipes. The corn starch is also good to use in berry baked goods, its great to mix the berries with 1 teaspoon of corn starch to reduce their water content.
- Soy Sauce – I use it in many things, mostly chicken and veggie marinades
- Rice Vinegar – definitely a must if you want to cook more asian inspired dishes
- Rice Wine – I don’t use it very often, except when I cook asian meals
- Baking Powder – a kitchen staple if you love cooking and baking
You will also need:
- Paper towels – in this recipe you definitely need some to dry the shrimp and to remove the access oil
- Tongs – if you don’t have tongs, two forks will work just fine, make sure you don’t drop the shrimp in the hot oil as you may burn yourself
- First you have to wash the shrimp really well, peel them if needed
- cover a cutting board with paper towels and place the clean shrimp on them, not overlapping
- take a few more paper towels and cover the shrimp, use your hands to pat dry the shrimp
- repeat if needed, once dry, add the shrimp to a medium bowl where you will season and marinade it
- 1½ lbs Wild caught shrimp, deveined & butterflied (optional)
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup ice water
- Shrimp Marinade:
- 1 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoon corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Honey Sauce:
- ½ cup rice wine (mirin)
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- Chopped green scallions
- Wash and clean the shrimp and place on paper towels to dry out. Cover with extra paper towels and pat dry.
- Add shrimp to a medium bowl and prepare the shrimp marinade: season it with salt, pepper, mix in the corn starch so all the shrimp is equally covered. Add the soy souce, stir and refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Make the batter:
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and corn starch until combined. Add the egg and mix well, add the water and stir until combined and no lumps. Place the batter in the refrigerator to rest for a few minutes or until you are ready to cook the shrimp.
- Frying the shrimp:
- Pour vegetable oil into fryer or into a heavy bottomed sauce pot. Once the oil temperature reaches 350F degrees start frying the shrimp, by soaking it one by one into the batter and shaking off any excess.
- Shrimp is done when golden to light brown and crisp.
- Cover a large platter with paper towels and place onto it the cooked shrimp. This will help drain any excess oil.
- Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Make the Sauce:
- In a medium cup, mix corn starch and water until fully combined, set aside.
- Add rice wine, honey, rice vinegar, say sauce and garlic to a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir and bring to a boil. Once the mixture started to boil, reduce the heat to low, and add half of the corn starch slurry.
- The sauce will thicken, add more corn starch slurry as needed until the consistency resembles that of honey. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl, pour the sauce over the shrimp, stir gently until fully covered, serve immediately over rice.
- Garnish with chopped green scallions.
Grab your chopsticks and dig in!
Recipe adapted from Just Simply Cook.