Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors in the most delicious, easy to make and comforting potato dish.
The recipe for Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin has been sponsored by Honest Cooking in partnership with US Potato Board. All opinions are my own.
Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin is my new way of serving delicious potatoes, everyone who tried this dish was amazed and fell in love with the amazing Italian & French flavors it packs. This recipe is my Italian take on classic Potato Gratin that is loaded with fresh Italian cheese and herbs.
The Béchamel Sauce is one of the easiest and most comforting sauces you can make. It can be used in so many recipes, its especially delicious served with pasta, but this Potato Gratin takes it to a whole new level of yumminess.
The Potato Gratin is topped with extra mozzarella cheese that gets crispy from baking, and every bite is packed with delicious layers of soft potatoes that have been cooked in a Mozzarella Béchamel Sauce. Talk about comfort food!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8.8 ounces mozzarella cheese + 1 cup, shredded
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9inch deep baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is pale golden for about 5 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk, cook for a few minutes and add the remaining 2 cups of milk, whisk until smooth. Cook mixture stirring constantly until it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and is very creamy, about 8 - 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in 8.8 ounces of cheese until melted.
- Mix the potatoes with the béchamel sauce and transfer the mixture to the baking dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and transfer the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or 1 hour and 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Gimme all the potatoes!