Brown Rice Risotto made with white wine, fresh lemon zest, mushrooms and freshly grated parmesan cheese is the epitome of creamy, comfort food.
I was craving risotto so badly and since I had some delicious Garnacha White Wine on hand, I know it pairs beautifully with lemony dishes, I decided to cook Lemon White Wine Brown Rice Risotto for us. To make the risotto even more filling, I added caramelized mushrooms and shallots. Let me tell you, mushrooms in risotto are the bomb! They add such a nice, earthy flavor, they are filling and so yummy when paired with caramelized shallots.
This Brown Rice Risotto turned out outstanding, you can easily use white rice as well, I just love the chewiness and flavor of brown rice. I added 1 cup of Garnacha White Wine which added a beautiful level of acidity to the dish, the shallots add a bit of sweetness, and the fresh lemon zest makes the dish refreshing and adds a gorgeous pop of color.
A hefty amount of freshly grated parmesan was added to the Brown Rice Risotto for extra creaminess. Topped with extra parmesan and fresh lemon zest for the ultimate risotto experience. I know many people get intimidated at making risotto, but the secret is in patience, you just have to watch it closely, stir often to make sure you get the right texture. Adding the liquid in little amounts helps too, especially if you are a beginner.
The Garnacha Blanca shined beautifully in this Brown Rice Risotto dish and we also had some on the side with dinner. Garnacha wines are not as expensive as some other styles of high-quality wines, making it the perfect wine to impress guests without breaking the bank. Pairing Garnacha is easy, fun and full of possibilities. Its wide range of styles and aromas mean there is a Garnacha wine for any occasion or seasonal celebration.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cups baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup short grain brown rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian option
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- In a medium/large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced shallot and then saute for 2-3 minutes, stir and add the sliced mushrooms and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the brown rice, sprinkle with salt and lightly toast for 3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the white wine to the pan and stir until absorbed. Pour in ½ cup of chicken or vegetable stock and stir frequently until absorbed. Repeat 3-4 more times, until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked to your preference. This may take 30 - 40 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the parmesan cheese and fresh lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese, fresh lemon zest and serve immediately and enjoy!
If refrigerating, the risotto will harden, to heat it, add it to a sauce pan, add ¼ cup of broth and heat on low/medium until creamy. Add more broth if needed.
Creamy, yummy goodness!