This no refined sugar banana bread is loaded with cashews and oatmeal, sweet from natural honey and all covered in an optional citrusy grapefruit glaze.
I just realized that this is the third banana bread recipe I am sharing in less than two months. Oh well, good things must come in abundance, thats my motto here. This no refined sugar banana bread is a healthier take on the old classic recipe that we all love. It still maintains all the banana flavor, without the extra calories from sugar, butter or oil.
This no refined sugar banana bread is packed with cashews that have been grinded to an almost flour like consistency, the cashews definitely make it more dense, the honey adds just the right amount of sweetness and actually gives the bread a stickier consistency that I love.
I feed good enough to feed this no refined sugar banana bread to my toddler, he happily nibbles on it in the morning as a nice change from his usual oatmeal. The juicy blueberries are bursting with flavor, and add an overall nice and pleasing color. To brightened the palette, I have whipped a grapefruit glaze that enveloped the banana bread in a sweet thin blanket, this is the only place where sugar was used, and you can totally skip it if you want to keep it completely sugar free. The citrus addition is nice and refreshing, the fragrance of it is enough to make my stomach growl in the morning.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 ripe bananas - mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 container Noosa honey yogurt or ¾ cup of any other yogurt
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp. melted butter, for greasing the pan
- Optional Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat over to 350. Grease a loaf pan.
- Grind the oatmeal and cashews separately, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cashews, oatmeal and bananas, add the eggs, yogurt and honey, with a spatula mix until well incorporated. Fold in flour, baking powder, when all mixed in fold in carefully the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-50min or until a tooth stick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean or with just a few crumbles on.
- Let cool completely before glazing.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and grapefruit juice, mix until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake, let it harden before serving.